hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)

Hello, Im an American currently residing in Italy with

I'm an American currently residing in Italy with a Permesso di Soggiorno 5 anni. I obtained this permit on the basis of my young Italian daughter. I am now looking to move to Germany and would like to understand if this permit is transferable to Germany. If so, is it simply a matter of contacting the German consulate?

If not, how should I go about requesting a Visa to live and work in Germany? I am looking to start a business. Is the process quite difficult?

Please can you also advise on timing on both possibilites.

Many thanks

you'll need to have a long term status EU on basis of the respective directive (Art. 2 b) in order to transfer the title to another European country.

Usually, you'll obtain that title after being 5 years in the country and be able to maintain yourself and your family.

In Germany this title is also fixed in national law. In Italy it should not be any different.

Before that you'll need to have a blue card (highly qualified -> scientists, etc.).

Starting a business can be quite a hassle depending on the type of business (if special permits are required).

However, without a residence permit you will not be able to do so.

To obtain a permit just by opening a business, investing money and employing people requires a regional necessity for that business. Usually this does only match large investments.