legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
44859865

hello, I am a Jordanian girl, 17 years old,, my both grandmother

Customer Question

hello, I am a Jordanian girl, 17 years old,, my both grandmother and grandfather are Germans and the rest of my mother's family as well.. My mom was going to take it butshe got married so that made it harder, can she have it now? and can she give it to me because i'm under 18 ??
I'll be so thankfull when u answer
Category: German Law
Expert:  legal eagle replied 1 year ago.

legal eagle :

Dear Customer,

legal eagle :

thanl you for using Just Answer.

legal eagle :

Do you want German citizenship?

legal eagle :

You are entitled to German citizenship if at the time of your birth either your mother or your father were of German nationality

legal eagle :

If this is not the case the only possibilty for you is to be naturlized

Customer :

Can you explain more please ?

legal eagle :

When you were born was your mther a German national?

Customer :

no,, I was born in Dhahran,, My mom was Jordanian,, and still

Customer :

but now about my mom,, her whole family are Germans,, so is there a possibility to have the German nationality ?? she lived there for 18 years

legal eagle :

Ok then you cannot become a German national by birth but you have to be naturalized which means you have to become a German national.

legal eagle :

For this you hav to be living in Germany or else have ties to Germany

Customer :

yeah, my mom lived there for 18 years.. and I'm moving to germany next year for university and i'll stay there for like 7 years
is that possible?

legal eagle :

Yes if you stay that long it is possible

legal eagle :

But you have to learn German and know about German history

Customer :

i already speak german but i'll make extra courses for that

legal eagle :

Ok

Customer :

its my secound language though

Customer :

but about my mother

legal eagle :

Ok

legal eagle :

No way alas.

legal eagle :

She would habe to be German at the time you were born

Customer :

she has been living there for so long and her family are all german,, is it possible after all that time to take the nationality

Customer :

?

legal eagle :

Normally she has to live there as well

legal eagle :

There are however exceptions

Customer :

and what are the exceptions ?

legal eagle :

If she has ties to Germany

legal eagle :

The law is Art 14 Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetz

Customer :

So now let us say my mom coulsn't have it,,, if i have ties to germany as you say and went there to study for like 7 years,, i can have it without my parents,, depending on that my grandparents are ?

legal eagle :

Dear Customer,

Customer :

Ja?

legal eagle :

no it does not depend on your grandparents but you haveto fulfill the requirements for naturalization, like living in Germany for a certain amount of time andspeaking the language

Customer :

achso ok

legal eagle :

Ja genau

Customer :

ok vielen dank

legal eagle :

Sehr gerrne

legal eagle :

viel Glück und alles Gute

legal eagle :

Was studieren Sie denn ?

Customer :

i want to study medizin

legal eagle :

Oh schwierig, viel zu lernen

Customer :

ja stimmt :)

Customer :

aber egal

legal eagle :

Ätzte sind dafür sehr gesucht

Customer :

ja

legal eagle :

Viel Glück und wenn ich Ihnen weiterhelfen konnte würde ich mich über einen Smilie sehr freuen

Customer :

jaa danke :))

legal eagle :

gerne