legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
44859865

My girlfriend is thinking about moving out of our apartment,

Customer Question

My girlfriend is thinking about moving out of our apartment, and taking our three year old son. What I would like to know if I can stop her from taking our son from our home?
Now if this is not possible can I make sure that she does not move away with our son? We live in Cologne and she is from Hamburg, and that maybe her final destination?
Category: German Law
Expert:  legal eagle replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,

thank you for using Just Answer.

Let me ask: ?

Have you got joint custody
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes we have joint custody; I filled out all the paperwork to make sure he has my last name and in getting his US passport. So he has dual citizenship also.

Dear Customer,

thank you for your reply.

As your right to visitation is in danger your girlfriend cannot simply move in a faraway city.

You can however not prevent her from leaving your appartment and taking the child with her.

The line is drawn at the point where your visitation rights are endangered
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience: 20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I wanted to hear, but something I needed to know.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX peaceful weekend.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My next questions would be when she moves out with our son, will I be required to provide some support? This will be a problem, due to I will have a problem paying the rent on the apartment that we moved into a year ago. Both our names are on the rental agreement, can I make her still be responsible for the rent?

Dear Customer,

you need to talk with your landlord first about who is going to take over the lease

There is still the possiblity to give notice which only the two of you can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will we need to go to court to establish an amount of support payment?

Not necessarily

Child support depends on your income and the child`s age

There is the Düsseldorfer Tabelle which lists how much you have to pay