legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
44859865

Hi Can you tell me what the definition of habitual resident

Hi Can you tell me what the definition of habitual resident is in Germany? My wife has been actually resdeint here in the UK for 20 years, but has been claiming child benefit for our children, since they were born 15 years ago, in Germany. She has also had coverege of health insurance with the AOK in Hannover, but they say that they only insure habitual residents. Can a person actually live in the UK (actually and physically) but have habitual residence in Germany at the same time? When is habitual residency lost? Thanks
Category: German Law
Expert:  legal eagle replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,Thank you so much for using Just Answer.Habitual residency means that she has to be actually living in Germany for most of the time and not just visit.It depends however on what permanent residency is needed for.So even nonresidents are entitled to Kindergeld if they pay their taxes in GermanySo even if your wife is a non-resident it does Not have to mean that she is not
.....does not mean that she is not to Somerset benefits.

I hope I was able to provide you with some useful Information

Please do not hesitate to ask should something be not quite clear

If I have helped I would very much appreciate positive feedback
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience: 20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.