DirkBettinger, Rechtsanwalt
Experience:  2. Staatsexamen

Customer Question

Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my husband's name isXXXXX are BC, Canada residents. My husband rented a car at Avis (Amsterdam airport) on Dec 21, 2012. The on-line reservation agreed price did not include any conditions that the offered price is for the car with summer tires. It was reasonable to assume that the rental car should have all-season or winter tires in December. My husband needed to continue his travel to Germany, where illegal to operate a car with summer tires in winter season. Avis representative knew about German regulations but refused to provide a proper car without an extra charge of Euro 20 (per day), which almost doubled the originally offered price. My husband had to rented a car with summer tires to continue the trip. Unfortunately the weather conditions were getting worse and it was unsafe to continue to drive that car. My husband contacted the nearest AVIS office on his way (in Germany) and they accepted to take the car back. The German AVIS office did not issue a final invoice but mentioned that the administrative charge for a different location should not exceed Euro 150. So, the rental car was returned on Dec 21, 2012. In order to continue the trip my husband had to borrow the car with his friends. 3 weeks later, we noticed a charge to our credit card of CAD1,500 (which is more then 5 times more than the original offer for 10days rental). During further investigation/calling/ follow up, we were informed that the final charge include Euro 800 + 21% tax for one way. That was a shock for us as we were not informed of any one-way fee neither when initially rented a car (agreement does not say anything about that) or later, when returned the car (other AVIS office representative did not mentioned anything about that).
What can we do? We would very appreciate your advise!
Thank you!
Category: German Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Wendy!

Thank you for trying to help me.

Unfortunately, I cannot wait longer as I needed to reply to bank regarding the dispute today.

Please cancel my question.

Thank you again. Have a nice day!