DirkBettinger, Rechtsanwalt
Experience:  2. Staatsexamen

we are green card holders since 2005, my mother is living in

Customer Question

we are green card holders since 2005, my mother is living in the States and her work visa (through my father who has now retired and moved back to germany) is about to expire later this year. my mother wants to stay in the States so I believe the only option is for one of us (me or my wife) to obtain US citizenship and sponsor my mother for a green card. Problem is, neither of us wants to give up our germany citizenship (I have already applied for dual citizenship at the german consulate but was told it would likely not go through since there are not enough "ties" with germany). So my question is can just one of us (likely myself) apply for us citizenship and sponsor my mother's green card, and if I lost the german citizenship in the process, would I still be able to benefit from my wife's german passport (i.e if we later decided to move back to germany or perhaps some other country where residency would be easier as a german than an american? Also, how long would the process take?
Submitted: 3 years ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: German Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can wait! I was trying to enter my email address but for some reason it said it was already used??? It is [email protected]

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!