hhvgoetz
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
48877684

Our father is a German citizen, he recently passed away. Before

Our father is a German citizen, he recently passed away. Before he passed away he told us that he was the only heir to his sister in Germany. Our aunt/his sister has no children, other siblings or husband. Our father has only two children, my brother and I.
Our aunt/his sister lives in a nursing home in Germany with Alzheimers. She has an appointed guardian from the state.
Our father when he lived, told us that his sister has many assets, her guardian claims she has no money or properties.
My brother and I are her only direct descendants. Do we have a right to find out? We live in the US.

Thank you

As the only direct descendants the guardian should give information. At least you should leave your data in order to be contacted if necessary.

However, while your aunt is alive, her assets have to be used to pay for the nursing home. It is pure speculation whether something will be left when she passes away.

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But, as her only family is there a way for us to bypass the guardian. Our aunt has some cousins in Germany that we feel may be working hand in hand with the guardian. It is illegal for them to do this I know; but for money people do just about anything.

I appreciate any information.

Regards,

T

Is it a professional guardian?

You should make sure that he and the local Amtsgericht know about your existence. So, you cannot be bypassed that easily.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes she is a professional guardian.

As for the local Amtsgericht; would that be the one located in the same town as her nursing home?

In this case I don't think it is very likely that she will do unlawful things risking her career. Make sure that she knows about your existence.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She does know about us and we have exchanged email in the past.

Thank you for your quick and concise answers.

Regards

You're welcome. Please do not forget to rate my answer.

Regards.