A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

How does Ebay Calculate how much shipping costs as they now

How does Ebay Calculate how much shipping costs as they now designate shipping costs based on means or company used to transport? I see that Ebay used to let sellers name their own shipping price but its no longer the case due to wide spread seller deceptive price gauging tactics to scam buyers with a very low price but a unreasonably high shipping charge.Though as a seller I would like to know how they price a shipping if they use a varied price estimate rather than a fixed charge. I see that if I choose USPS priority mail it would give me a quote between $6.50 - $16.50 but if I choose USPS priority mail large flat rate box the price would be a fixed $18.50 Therefore if I choose just USPS priority mail without selecting flat rate boxes how would my shipping cost be calculated? I don't want to overcharge any buyers unnecessarily but I also do not want to have to make up for the actual cost to mail the item to buyer.

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

Rates are those used by the post office using size and weight of the package and shipping zip code versus destination zip code. Ebay has a video about shipping here:

I would suggest you package and weigh one item and go through the motions of listing it. You don't have to actually do it, you're just practicing. It's much easier to understand once you actually do it. You are still allowed to charge a fixed amount for shipping, but customers do tend to be wary. People who buy on Ebay are aware of what something should cost to ship and don't like it when shipping charges seem excessive.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks I noticed my shoe box just fits in a large flat rate box so I chose that. I hope that buyers who won the shoe will not think the item could have a lower price shipping. Though anyways I am not certain if mailing that shoe box can get cheaper than this.

You can check out It will show you exactly what it costs using various types of containers (flat rate box or envelope, your own box, etc.) as well as types of shipping (priority, book rate, etc.). Ebay uses the exact same site.

I don't think any customer objects to minimal charges for things like bubble wrap or buying a box. It's the outrageous prices they object to. No one wants to buy a $5 item and be charged $10 for shipping. I've never had a problem with anyone complaining and I've occasionally sold items on Ebay for at least the past 8-9 years.

Best regards,