Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

We have mice and chipmunks and/or squirrels in our attic.

Customer Question

We have mice and chipmunks and/or squirrels in our attic. We've tried acoustic devices to drive them out. I've caught a couple of mice in a humane trap. I put out a squirrel trap but the bait disappeared, the door shut, and whatever was in there (probably a mouse) got out. The next step is an exterminator even though we'd rather not kill the animals.
Note: I heard a creature in a downspout. So that's one way up to the gutters. Though there is a tree close enough to the roof to jump from.
How can we get these animals to dislike our house enough to leave? Or seal the house so they can't get in.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 11 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 11 days ago.

Hi again, Bob.

I'm so sorry you're having these problems.

You can hire an exterminator who will not kill the animals and who will have a spring-loaded trap for the squirrels (or chipmunks) that will not allow mice to get inside or out, after eating the food bait.

While the exterminator is up in the attic, s/he can look for any areas where light is coming in, and those will be the places to be sealed up, once you know there are no more critters in the attic. If you're a DIY man, you can seal up the spaces yourself from the inside and outside (if possible) or call a handyman or contractor to do it.

Check the areas where the roof/eaves meets the gutters, too, as there might be a some small holes, there.

I wish you much good luck and hope your problem is resolved very soon!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Cher,My question was how to get the creatures to leave. I know they can be trapped. I know an exterminator can come and do that or poison them. I want them to leave on their own because the environment is unpleasant. As I mentioned, I've tried acoustic devices. We've tried mothballs. It sounds like they play with them. I have heard one can make a paste of hot peppers. I as hoping that I could find out some other way to get rid of them.Have you had experience with something like that?Bob.
Expert:  Cher replied 8 days ago.

Hi again, Bob and thanks so much for your reply.

I have experienced a squirrel in the attic, but I set a humane trap, but food in the back and within a short time, I caught the squirrel. I was told to leave the trap there and baited again, as they usually travel in pairs, but we never caught anything in the second trap, so it was removed and the hole where they were getting in was sealed up by a professional.

I found a great article that might help you, and it states that unfortunately, the ultrasound transmitters, mothballs and other techniques people use are ineffective, so, see if this helps, and you might have to get professional help to set up certain types of traps at the points of ingress and egress, to get them out, permanently:

They're not going to leave on their own if they have a nice, warm, cozy 'home' in your attic, so that's why the suggestions at the website above should be helpful.

I hope you start making some progress with this new information!

Warmest wishes,

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm sorry, Cher. That is not of any help to me.
Expert:  Cher replied 8 days ago.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been of more help, Bob. I'll opt out and leave your question open to other experts.

I wish you much good luck!

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Michael replied 8 days ago.

Good afternoon Bob,

The expert earlier was correct in many of the tips provided as this is what is recommended by many professional exterminators. What I have also done is to research some humane as well as tips that are offered by those that have used these ideas to make sure these pests do not decide to visit again.

1. A number of household experts have stated that "peppermint oil" works well in making sure these pests do not return. Found in natural food stores, spray around the area with water or on cotton balls in the attic. This has been found to be effective indoors as outdoors the scent can wash away.

Give this remedy a try before your last resort which is a pest expert to visit your attic.