Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

What International Free Agents have the Chicago Cubs signed

Customer Question

What International Free Agents have the Chicago Cubs signed since July 2, 2016?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

It appears the answer is "none."

Here is the list of all Chicago Cubs transactions through September 30, 2016.

That is the latest date that any transactions have been announced. There are always lots of rumors, but nothing has been announced.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You are not correct. I know of four young players they have signed. One is from Taiwan. two are from Mexico, and a fourth is from Columbia.
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 15 days ago.

Well, if they have signed players, they have not announced it. I will opt out and see if there is someone close to Chicago Cubs management who has inside knowledge about this.

Expert:  Michael replied 15 days ago.

Good morning,

I have gone ahead to research what has been reported from baseball publications and blogs on international players signed by all MLB teams.

Agree with the earlier expert as there has been no reports of any signings of international players starting on July 2 when players can sign contracts. In fact, articles on the Cubs have stated that the team is low key on any signings that will happen. Baseball America updates their page on international signings and none have been reported for the Cubs at this time:

As for players that were signed in the 2015-16 international signing day:

Best to the Cubs this afternoon against the Giants.

Librarian Michael

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I rate your response as Pee Poor. I have done some research on my own and have found that four players have been signed.
Chi-Feng Lee RHP Taiwan
Mauuel Rodriguez RHP Mexico
Ferrol Heredia LHP Mexico
Danis Correa RHP Columbia.
Expert:  Michael replied 14 days ago.

The information you found below comes from one blog as I have not seen the signings reported on any credible site. While I do not doubt that the information is right, I would want more verification from other sources to know that this information is correct:

"There has been little to zero chatter about the Cubs' international spending. The outside-the-box thinking organization has eschewed the major hotbeds for talent and instead went a little off the beaten path. With zero signings from Venezuela or the DR, they instead inked a pair of Mexican teens and one from Colombia.

RHP Manuel Rodriguez and LHP Ferrol Heredia hail from south of the border with Rodriguez receiving a $100,000 bonus and the southpaw Heredia garnering $50,000. Colombian RHP Danis Correa took home the largest bonus from the Cubs though, signing for $225,000 and accounting for nearly half their spending"

I also reviewed the online transactions page for the Cubs and no mention of any of these signings.

I will then opt-out for any other expert to assist.