Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550
Type Your Question Here...

This question is for a librarian: Please help me find a book

Customer Question

This question is for a librarian: Please help me find a book long out of print and neither whose author nor title I can recall. The main character was a sickly, housebound young woman who was living vicariously through her active, adventuresome gang friends who all knew each other and visited her frequently. She peppered them with questions about their lives in the world outside and thereby felt like she was part of the group, albeit as a spectator only.
I read it back in the late fifties-early sixties.
Not much to go on, I realize. I'm hoping some hard core bibliophile with a great memory will have read it too and be able to recall the title.
Category: General
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

I will try to find it out.

Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 4 months ago.

How young a woman was it?

You mention a "gang." Was this a young adult with slightly out of lse friends?

A middle aged woman with country club type friends?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

I would estimate mid teens to early twenties.

Don't understand meaning of "out of Ise friends," but I would describe her friendship circle as a "crowd" or a "group" rather than "a gang." CoolActually, I just noticed that I left out "of" in the original question. There's a big difference between "gang friends" and "gang of friends, no?

Definitely not middle aged.

Her friends were not what I would call "country club type." Rather they were just late high school-early college age types, out in the world exploring and learning about jobs, friendship, dating, etc.

It was definitely authored in English, and I'm pretty sure it was set in the U.S., although there's a possibility she and her friends were young Americans abroad. I was an expat myself at the time, living in Paris trying to write a play.

Thanks for filling me in. That was supposed to be "out of law." Gang of friends really is different from "gang friends" and that is what I was trying to clear up.

It doesn't immediately ring any bells for me, but I will look around.

Thanks!

Schuyler

~

I'm sorry, but I've looked and looked and didn't find anything that sounds like this. I wil opt out and see if someone else wants to try.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is Greg. Can you remember something a bit more specific about the book - even some names of the characters or city settings or names of anything inside? What has been provided, unfortunately, is going to be too general for us to provide a definitive book on this. I always hate to give the "bad news" answers, but in this case I do not believe we will be able to track down given these general themes as so many books were published in that time period.

Again, if you can think of any other specifics, please reply back and let us know. Have a wonderful rest of the day.