K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881
Type Your Question Here...

What's the best way to trade in a old junk car most

Customer Question

What's the best way to trade in a old junk car for the most amount of money? Or get the most money out of a a very old car with mechanical issues?
Category: General
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.

Hello, you could try to find a car dealer offering one of the " XXX amount of money for any trade in" deals. Usually they give a set amount for any vehicle that's well above what blue book trade in would be. Just be aware they'll try to make the money back on the back end of the deal when you purchase the new vehicle.

The most profit can usually be made by selling it to a private party via Craigslist, Auto trader or other website.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** there is a firm called cash for cars that buys cars for cash. Are these companies a good choice? They state they take cars in any condition.

Usually they are offering a premium over scrap value and come pick the vehicle up which is a cost savings if it's not driveable.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Though do they usually offer better or worse deals compared to trading in at a dealership? If the car is still but barely drivable to the dealership?

I would ask them for a quote as they usually sell them to salvage yards the dealer usually will offer blue book value for it in "poor" condition on trade. Scrap metal prices are pretty low right now so the dealer or a private party may give you a better profit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanksgiving Wiggins, I guess the best price is private party even if it's in bad shape.

Usually it is. I would check the kelley blue book value for poor condition and list it arounnd that price on craigslist. It'll go quicker than you think. There's a big market for cheaper used cars