Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering
40260889
Type Your Question Here...

Is there a mathematical term (particularly in the realm of

Customer Question

Is there a mathematical term (particularly in the realm of quantum physics) that is equivalent to the colloquial term "toss-up"? As in, something that could go either way with roughly equal likelihood?
Category: General
Expert:  Ryan replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using the site.

I think the closest synonym for "toss-up" is going to be "even chance".

You could also say something like "complementary events of equal chance". This phrase gets a little closer to the point that it must be one event or the other, and that the probability of each is the same, but it may be a bit too pedantic compared to a simple term like "toss-up".

I'm not aware of a similar term that might be specific to quantum physics, but I'll keep looking and will post back here if I find anything.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Ryan, maybe more context would help. It's for a novel and a quantum physicist character is referring to a fork in the road where either direction might lead to his destination. I'm looking for a mathematical term he might use to describe that, so it has to be conceptually accurate but also general enough that a layperson would be able to infer its meaning.

I was thinking about something like "an indeterminate" or "a free variable" but I don't know enough about mathematics to determine what would be an apt usage.