Experience:  30 years of Experience in Financial and Life Planning, which encompasses Tax, Law, Finance, behavioral change and leadership
Type Your Question Here...

I am a college student I just finished up my Spring 2016

Customer Question

I am a college student I just finished up my Spring 2016 semester and spring semester grades are posted and added into my GPA. It shows or says my Career GPA is at 2.64 is that considered a pretty good overall GPA to have or what is that GPA be considered.
Category: General
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
Hi,...What has to be assessed first, to COMPLETELY answer the question is ... for what purposes?...FOr purposes of the old standard grading system this is a 66, in many grading systems that's a D (or passing)....For law school, however, for example; when making an 85 is the best possible and 70 is considered a C BUT a good standard for passing the bar, ( a 70 on the bar makes you a lawyer in a given state) the 66 might not seem quite as bad (for someone who is going to spend the next six months of their life preparing for a very specific set of test categories) and only needs a C to become "an attorney."...For purposes of getting a diploma, it's certainly good enough (if you've met the residency requirements and take the appropriate number of classes in the right categories, for your major)....For purposes of stacking up against the 4.0 that's required for a perfect score or even close to that, for the deans list, it's pretty far off the mark....For those competitive graduate schools, it's going to be a problem....But again it'll get you a diploma. It means you're somewhere below the average, ... but your passing....Does that help?
Expert:  Michael replied 5 months ago.
From my research, your GPA by all accounts averages to a C+. By having a 2.64 GPA, you would be averaging around a B- in most of your courses. The national average for GPA is around a 3.0 so working toward that goal (I am sure with a bit more hard work you can achieve this) that having a GPA at this average can then allow you to have a better average in college. Nothing wrong of course with your GPA at this time but if you are considering graduate school you might wish to see about bumping this average up. Sometimes when interviewing for a job after college that you might have to list your GPA and while an average around 2.6 is OK, having a bit higher might help in landing that job.Keep working hard as I am sure you can get your average up by the next semester.Librarian Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 5 months ago.
I hope that the information I provided is helpful in learning more about your GPA. If you could take a moment to rate my assistance so that I know my help was useful and allow me to assist other customers on our site.Take care,Librarian Michael
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
My apologies, the D was not a good representation of the classic baccalaureate letter grade to GPA conversion. See this: again, although the B- above is a strict, classic US interpretation, under MOST systems, again, it's important to ask a more specific question ... for what purpose, for what field, and what other assessments are important....As I mentioned above, in a law school setting an 85 is an A+ and a below 70 is not passing....Further, some recruiters and vocational fields put more importance on the general GPA, while some look MUCH more closely at the GPA generated by classes within your major, than the general number....Today, many Corporations are looking a the results of a proficiency based exam more so than GPA. Many proponents point out the deficiency of the very broad and overgeneralized GPA system....See this: in some systems this varies greatly ... Here's an excellent overview (not peer reviewed, but a good place to start) of how these systems can change by country: important, HOW your professor assigns grades .. some do so "on the curve" where your grade is a representation of how you did WITHIN the framework of your peers in that class. Where others use a more strict assignment of your having mastered a certain body of knowledge, using a rubric provided by peer reviewed research, and what's "known," in the field....Finally, I would also submit that, for purposes of grad school, if that IS an objective, you may want to start looking at the entrance exams that will matter as much, if not more than GPA; GRE, MCAT, GMAT, LSAT....Sorry for the data dump, but wanted to be sure that (1) you had the context, and (2) show you how the proverbial target moves as you assess your real, life/professional objectives....I would submit that (1) GPA's can be misleading is treated as an absolute and oversimplified (2) depending on the field, may not BE important, and (3) that depending on the system the conversion of GPA to letter grade will yield different answers....I hope this provides a foundation for good, sophisticated, decision making, going forward....Lane......If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the smile or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit”)
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
Hi,...DId my follow-up help?