Sally G.
Sally G., Preschool Assistant Group Supervisor
Experience:  Working with behaviorally challenged, SN children, Autism and early education.
Type Your Question Here...

I have a 17 year old neutered collie cross she has an

Customer Question

hi i have a 17 year old neutered collie cross bitch she has an arthritic type of problem her biggest problem is getting to a standing position ,she has received 3 doses of metacam over the last 3 days she now can walk somewhat better and is a little brighter but so far still cant get up. i cant see how she will be able to manage like this if only she could get to a standing position i think she would have a reasnable standard of life does any one have any advice
Category: General
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years.

If you need her to get to a standing position which is difficult you will probably need to help her in some way.

There are braces you can buy with handles on them which go under the dog and you can then lift the dog from a laying position.

If she is taking metcam that will help with inflammation and pain but I would also add some daily cosequin and coconut oil for her joints.

Here are examples of lift braces, but in a pinch you can help by putting a beach towel under her and lifting the hind area.

information on cosequin

coconut oil dosing