Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128
Type Your Question Here...

How are sterling tea services made today vs colonial and

Customer Question

How are sterling tea services made today vs colonial and Victorian era bespoke sets. Do they use moles, then apply decoration by hand to fit an established pattern?
Category: General
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I had a store that had silver as one of its specialties.

Silver today is made by the use of molds.

There are a few remaining silversmiths who take custom orders. They often still will make a mold of what they are trying to copy, and use that as their pattern.

Plated silver is made by forming the base metal alloy, mostly nickel and copper, via molds then applying the silver.

Even some Victorian silver was made via molds and electroplating application of silver.

If I can answer your further requests about this question, please ask before you rate me.

Otherwise,

Please consider giving me a positive rating. It is the only way I AM COMPENSATED BY JUST ANSWER for my work.
You should see five stars. This is where you rate me. Rating me A POSITIVE
DOES NOT COST YOU ANY EXTRA.

Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?
Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am aware of the molds in the electroplating, however I am trying to find out the point at which molds were substituted for the bespoke raising and specifically the level of skilled work difference in a patterned tea set by Gotham or another company and the original masterwork for a commissioned colonial or Victorian service.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.
I find that writing my answers gives me time to consider them more carefully.

The first period molds were used was the17thC, especially with flatware in England.

Electroplating was patented in 1841 by the Elikington Co.

Much more skilled craftsmen were required to make teasets and coffee set without molds.

Use of original molds for teasets/coffee sets was most probably started in mid 19thC both in USA and England.

A master craftsman was required to make the original pattern designs from which a base metal mold was made. Once the mold was made for a pattern, the required skill was less, in fact, it was much less as one would expect.

The skill required to make the original design for a pattern was not as great as the required work to make pieces in the hand made - one of-a-kind Georgian-Mid Victorian tea/coffee sets. The work and skill required to make a commissioned piece without a mold was much greater as the craftsman had to work quickly while the silver is still hot.

Gorham Martele silver of the late 19thC was made without molds. That is one reason it is considered very collectible.

I hope this answers your questions.

If not, let me know.

Kind regards.

Doris

If my answer here is enough, then,

DOES NOT COST YOU ANY EXTRA.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If you could recommend a book that describes the processes in depth I would appreciate it .I have collected Sterling T services mostly pre-1850 and I plan to sell them in the near future. .I wanted to be able to describe the difference between a Forbes of NY colonial service and something made in 1930 by reed and Barton for example. Most people think their value relates only to the amount of sterling silver and the weight of the tea service .it stuns me that a service in the Francis the first pattern sells for more than an antique Victorian bespoke set on eBay. I still don't understand why Tiffany sterling in standard patterns is so highly valued as compared to an antique tea service that has been hand raised and chased by a master silversmith . I would love to find a book that goes into depth on the relative value and artistry among the different pieces . Thank you don't worry about the call the computer prompted me to do that

As I think I mentioned, I had a store which had silver as one of its specialties.

True collectors and honest dealers value craftsmanship more than weight.

The London silver vault dealers really reacted with disdain when asked how much a piece of sterling Georgian pieces weigh.

Some of the most financially savvy wealthy people in the US. have vaults of sterling for investment purposes.

Let me see if I can find a book source for you.

A book on investing in silver might be the best for you.

Kind regards,

Doris

Here is Silver Magazine. I am sure they have had articles on what you are looking for.

You may need to contact them to see when the articles were published.

I am going to look in my library to see if their may be books you are looking for.

Some maybe out of print but some book stores might have them,

This is my first suggestion link here.

https://www.silvermag.com/items14.cfm

I will continue looking for you.

Kind regards,

Doris

I just tried ABEBooks.com. There are dozens of books there on Silversmiths and SilverSmithing.

Just browse and you will find what you are looking for.

You may have to buy several but they have many out of print paperback editions under $10.

There are too many for me to list here.

My best wishes for you.

Please do not forget my need for A POSITIVE RATING.It is the ONLY WAY I AM COMPENSATED BY JA for my work. It COSTS YOU NOTHING EXTRA.
Kind regards,

Doris

Hi there!
Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris