Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I have a sentry safe with a key lock. I put the wrong key

Customer Question

Hi i have a sentry safe with a key lock. I put the wrong key in there. It unlocked it but now it want lock it back and is stuck. What do i do
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Crystal and welcome! Is the wrong key stuck in the key hole or are you just unable to lock it? What kind of key is it, round and hollow or does it have 'teeth?' Thanks,Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes im only unable to unlock.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
So, the key is stuck in the lock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.. I want to lock it back since that's usually how the comes out but it want turn back

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for your additional information. If you already tried WD 40, I'd wait for that to dry or dab at the key/keyhole to absorb any excess and then, try some powdered or liquid graphite. This comes in a little tube and it's also a lubricant. Here is what it looks like: http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-3-g-Powdered-Graphite-Lubricant-703185/100137063 If you can't get to a store due to the weather, if you're in a snowbound area, you can try a regular lead pencil and follow these instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Lubricate-a-Lock-Using-Graphite-From-a-Penc/ I know they're showing a 'door lock', not a safe lock, but it doesn't matter; you just need a lubricant at this point. The main problem IS, that you used the wrong key, so it might be bent because it didn't fit properly and that's why you can't get it out. I don't know how the wrong key got the lock open in the first place! Well, better to have an open safe, if you needed to get something, than a locked one, that you can't get into. For the moment, you can store your valuables in another safe place and concentrate on removing that key. Try jiggling it gently (you don't want to break it off in the lock) and moving it so it loosens with the aid of the WD 40 and the graphite. If this doesn't work, you'll need to bring it to a locksmith or a safe technician (or have them come to you) and you might need to replace the keyhole, if it's been damaged. If you need to contact Sentry to order a new key or keyhole, you can reach them on Monday (they're closed on the weekends) at: (###) ###-####heir hours are 8AM - 6 PM Monday through Friday, Eastern time. I wish you the best of luck with your safe! Warmest wishes,Cher