John Contractor
John Contractor, Licensed General Contractor
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in all phases of Residential and Commercial Construction.
22184762
Type Your Question Here...

I have a question. I live in a home built in 1927. We have

Customer Question

I have a question. I live in a home built in 1927. We have made many upgrades over the years to where the house is mainly to our liking. We have 2 bathrooms on the second floor. A few years ago we replaced the floors with white hexagon (old time) tiles and the grout is gray. We are now getting ready to pretty well gut the 2 bathrooms and re do them. We are going to be using white subway tiles for the tile work.
My question is, should we stay with gray grout that has been used on the floor or can we use white (we are not re doing the tile work on the floors.) We would rather use white grout but we don't want it to clash.
Do you have a recommendation on grout color, white or gray?
Thank you,
***** *****
Category: General
Expert:  John Contractor replied 1 year ago.

Hello There,

-

I have done quite a bit of tile work over the years and aesthetically speaking, I do not think that the colors will "clash" against each other -- what you might end up with is something more along the lines of what your guests may view as "interesting" and you may genuinely like. As a contractor, my recommendation would be to use the white grout on the walls because it will stand out nicely against the white and gray floor AND it will look cleaner for a longer period of time (as grout ages --- say in about 10 years time if it is set properly and sealed with grout sealer -- the grout may crack in some corners or other wetter places in the bathrooms at which time any grout no matter what the color may start to discolor, fleck out and may be in need of repair to the grout (be sure to ask your contractor to seal the tiles with a tile sealer for max use and wear and tear -- I use Tile Lab Grout and Tile Sealer which you can get at Home Depot or Lowes, but your contractor may use another product that is just as good because there are several brands available).

-

I do not think it will clash -- it will blend with the floors nicely. If you were doing some really strange color then I might have some concerns regarding how the finished product would look -- but greys and whites and tans are very common grout colors and I have seen them all intermixed in the same bathrooms and the same kitchens for the past thirty years.

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this issue. If not, can you please press a positive rating above this answer section so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating in the ratings section above (pressing the middle, fourth or fifth stars are all positive ratings in the star rating system above). Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you tonight. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

-

JOHN N.