p0llinate
p0llinate,
59725966
Type Your Question Here...

How do I get the HOT out of RoTel Original Diced Tomatoes

Customer Question

How do I get the HOT out of RoTel Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies? I had no idea hot HOT this was and my beef soup is a disaster. Can you help?
Category: General
Expert:  p0llinate replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

The green chilies in the rotel is where the heat is coming from.

There are a few ways to reduce the heat - picking out the green chilie pieces would be the best start,

next would be adding a bit of sugar, or acid (lemon juice or vinegar), which will help to tame the heat level. Do this in small doses so you don't end up making it worse by becoming too sweet or sour

the next option will be to remove some of the fat. Turn the heat off to let it cool and sit still for awhile, then skim off some of the fat/grease on top, which has absorbed much of the capsaicin (the compound responsible for the spice/heat), which will reduce the heat level,

adding raw cubed potatoes can also help to absorb excess spice/flavor

and lastly diluting further with additional broth/water

Best of luck to you,