Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

My plated silver coffee pot is not old (100) but the

Customer Question

Customer: My plated silver coffee pot is not old (100) but the insulators on the bottom of the feet are in bad shape. I got one replacement estimate of over $300. What are they made from and can a substitute be used? It has been replated and makes great coffee. Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: There are 3 feet and the black insulators screw on the bottom of the feet. They protect the silver tray from the pots metal feet. Over the years previous owners did not know how to wax the insulators to protect them when polishing or washing. They may be a wood. I don't think it is bakelite; too early.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Antiques Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: General
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I will help you with your question today. Do you still need assistance?

If you could please attach a photo using the paperclip icon in the toolbar, I can use that to help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Attached is a closeup of the insulators on the feet.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have responded with a photo of the item; waiting for your response.

Thank you. That estimate is very high. I don't think these were on the set originally, but added at some point.

You can get a number of different replacements. But it will depend on the size that you need. A precise measurement of the insulator and the size of the screw would help in getting the exact one.