Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

What is your take on what happened to the 'Lost

Customer Question

What is your take on what happened to the 'Lost Colony' in what is now Virginia?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to answer your question.

After researching this puzzling event, I feel that the settlers assumed that ***** *****, their leader/Governor, who left to go back to England to get more supplies, was either lost at sea or dead, and was not returning. The native Indian tribe that lived nearby, came into the settlement and looted the place, taking the residents captive. Eventually, the Indians realized that the colonists were not a threat and began to live peacefully with them, showing them how to live off the land, plant crops, etc. Some of the colonists, married Indians and had mixed-race children.

Archaeologists have found items where the colony was established, which proved that they did live there for a while, and the 'dating' of the artifacts recovered, agree with the years they would have been on the island. Here is more information:

http://www.history.com/news/archaeologists-find-new-clues-to-lost-colony-mystery

I hope this helped, but please let me know i f you have any further questions.

Please click 'rate my service,' rate positively, and then, click 'Submit', as that is the only way I am compensated for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Best wishes,

Cher