Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I have my uncles gun safe and he passed away about 18 months

Customer Question

I have my uncles gun safe and he passed away about 18 months ago. We don't have the combination. The door is open now, but in locked position so we can't shut the door. How do I reset it? It's a Remington Express green tall gun safe.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Heather and thanks for your question.

My sincerest condolences on the passing of your uncle.

Is the safe electronic or does it have a manual dial?

Does it also require a key to open, in conjunction with the combination?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to read through it and then I will respond.

Best wishes,

Cher

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is electronic.
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your additional information, Heather!

Lost combinations need to be recovered from the safe's manufacturer, as they are the only ones who can provide this information to protect the security of your safe. I will give you a link, below, to access the owner's manual for the safe, for future reference, but for your convenience, here are the instructions re: lost combinations:

"LOST COMBINATION

The lock on your safe has been set with a randomly selected combination at the time of manufacturing. As part of our continuing service, a record of your combination by serial
number is ***** on file. If you lose your combination, you can retrieve a copy for a $15.00 research fee (the fee may have changed), provided you have not changed the lock on your safe.

You must complete certain security and documentation requirements. Call Customer Service at(###) ###-#### ***** 0, or go to www.libertysafe.com to download a combination request form."

http://www.remingtonsafe.com/pdf/2_CE12_Use_Care_Manual.pdf

If your uncle had changed the combination from the original factory-set combination, they should be able to send you the procedure for resetting it, but only after you fill out the necessary forms to prove safe ownership.

It's a process, but it's set up to protect the customer.

The link below is to the site to download the form. It's more difficult to navigate the site than it should be, so I hope this helps:

http://www.libertysafe.com/combokeyrequest.php

I hope this information is helpful and you are able to get the combination to your uncle's safe without too much trouble.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I read this on the Remington site also, but the problem is they want proof of purchase & detail I can't provide since he's no longer with us.I'm looking for an alternate way to ark east reset the lock so we can shut the door. The door is open, seems there should be a way to "unlock" it?
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hi again, Heather and thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, there's no other way to reset the lock, unless you have the original combination. If you were to call the manufacturer and explain the circumstances, they might be able to help you further. You would explain that you 'inherited' this safe from your now, deceased uncle and the door is in the open position and you would like to find out the combination, so you can use it to close and make use of the safe. They might ask for a death certificate, which you should be able to get, without a problem.

The only other alternative is to hire a local locksmith/safe technician to come to your home in person, try to figure out the combination, and then your problem will be solved.

My apologies that I couldn't be of more help, but this is an 'unusual circumstance.'

Please do not rate negatively, as the outcome of the situation is not within my control, but if you would like me to 'opt out' and allow other experts to try to help you, I will do that.

I wish you much good luck with your uncle's safe!

Warmest regards,

Cher