Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

Our upstairs and staircase is all natural oak and the stair

Customer Question

Our upstairs and staircase is all natural oak and the stair case is open to the downstairs. Which after 20 years the natural oak tends to look golden, But in perfect condition. We are removing all of the carpet/ tile downstairs Which runs down the center of our oak staircase.
We have in a separate room a jacuzzi which you have to walk across the carpet to get to the bathroom. And everyone tends to drip. I want to replace the floor with the new very good quality waterproof laminate hard wood floor. ( would have it professionally done)
My question is....... Can I mix the woods? I don't have to use the oak down there too even though they connect?
We have a very beautiful home I do not want to cheapen it!
We have a large curved stone bar. That was custom built all in the same oak cabinets chairs and around top of bar. Just want to b sure I'm doing the right thing. It's a very large area.
I was thinking to pull it together I would replace the carpet on the steps with comet hind that completes the new floors down stairs so it would pull it all together.
Now after ALL of my detail what are your thoughts :)
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Before i continue, what is "comet hind"? Also, what is the state of the oak step under the carpet, it the color the same as the exposed area of the wood?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a typo. Carpet runner just as it is now down the center.
I am not sure of the condition because it is covered with the carpet now but it should be perfect because it was covered when it was brand-new I'm not sure what the carpeting does to it once it is covered.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

The wood under the carpet may be lighter tint than the area seeing more air and light. That is not a real problem because it will eventually become the same color as the rest.

As for if you can match wood. I never see problem with this but to not look weird, the two tint of wood much be very constrasting. Also, hardwood laminate is not by definition waterproof and you much ensure it is rated that way (or else you may end up with bulging from water intake). Personally i would consider ceramic tiles (or ceramic wood plank immitation) in regard to the information about water presence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 100% sure it's water proof or I wouldn't put it down. It's approximately 1750 square feet to I need to make the right decision. It's also flexible. We have a 5200 sq ft raised ranch. And due to settling the tile has cracked in the basement. And I do not want that to happen again.
As for the lightness on the stairs I will not keep them exposed completely. It's a sliping hazard. So that will b covered again. 😊
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Then it should look alright. There is always a bit of getting used to it ajdustment to any renovation but i don't think that it will clash (especially with the stair covered again). Being a stair case it is already functionally different and also a vertical structure, so our brain already categorize it as different than the floor (it is not like you would want to build an extension and have to make a new floor fit next to the old one).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you. I'd just love to see a picture. To see if I'm doing it right. Lol!
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

To not regret it you can always take a digital picture of the area and replace the floor with a a digital sample of the floor type you want. You then stare at it and see if it feel right. Some renovation stores have special software and clerk that can offer that kind of service if you don't want to do it yourself.