A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

How do i pull a real credit report online. we live in Texas

Customer Question

how do i pull a real credit report online. we live in Texas if that makes a difference in how or what is pulled. I want to know what others (like a real estate broker) would see. Should medical bills show up? should late utility bills? should an 18 year old bankruptcy? What should be on the report and what should not be on the report. If there is something that should have dropped off and it has not, could the person pulling the report use that information against me. What is my recourse against the credit reporting company giving out information that should have been dropped. What would i tell the person pulling the report - they will not forget what they have seen. How do I get the report corrected?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

You are entitled to get a copy of your credit report online for free, once a year, from all three credit reporting agencies, (Experian, Equifax and TransUnion, by going to the following site and choosing your option:

http://www.experian.com/assistance/free-annual-credit-report.html

You can also go to creditkarma.com to see your free credit report and credit score, but they only include 2 of the three credit reporting agencies.

If you find a discrepancy on any of the reports, you can contact the credit reporting agency and have them correct it or remove it, after proving that it is incorrect or outdated, then follow up with them, to make sure it was done.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue. There is no additional charge for follow-ups.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please answer all my questions. you have not told me anything i do not already know. I took the time to write out the question, you should take the time to read it and answer it - especially if you are expecting payment. This is not the quality answer i am use to getting from justanswer.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If i go to the link in your answer, will it give me the Equifax and TransUnion reports also?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am in a rush, please help
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

You asked how to pull a real credit report online and I gave you the information. Anyone pulling that report, will see the same information you will see. Once you do that, and you see what's included on your credit report, you can call each reporting agency to question anything that is incorrect. There were two links in my answer, the first one will get you all three credit reports, once a year, for free. The second one (creditkarma.com) will give you the reports from Transunion and Equifax, but will also include your credit SCORE, which is good to know. You need to register, but it is absolutely free and you don't have to give a credit card number. I use it myself.

First, pull the credit reports from all three agencies and then see if there are any mistakes or items that need to be removed or changed; then contact them directly, to have that done. It can take a little while for the change to show up.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
again if you READ my question then perhaps your can answer it without arguing.
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

I have said nothing argumentative and my apologies if you interpreted my answers in that way.

I will opt out and your question will be open to all other experts.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
well you said you answered my question but you did not - that is argumentative right?i have copied the part of the question you did not read."Should medical bills show up? should late utility bills? should an 18 year old bankruptcy? What should be on the report and what should not be on the report. If there is something that should have dropped off and it has not, could the person pulling the report use that information against me. What is my recourse against the credit reporting company giving out information that should have been dropped. What would i tell the person pulling the report - they will not forget what they have seen. How do I get the report corrected?"
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 11 months ago.

Should medical bills show up? Only if medical bills have gone to a collection agency, will they show up. Like all other bills, if they are paid on time they won't.

should late utility bills? Yes, if it is within the last 7 1/2 years.

should an 18 year old bankruptcy? No. The time frame is 7 1/2 years.

What should be on the report and what should not be on the report. Your credit history should be on the report. Your spouse's credit history, private medical information and anything else that doesn't affect credit should not be.

If there is something that should have dropped off and it has not, could the person pulling the report use that information against me. If you ask for your own credit report, you can have any errors corrected, so this should never be a problem. If you don't take that step, any person looking at the report will use the information provided.

What is my recourse against the credit reporting company giving out information that should have been dropped. This is actually a legal question that should be directed at your attorney. However, you can eliminate this possibility by taking a few minutes to every year to get copies of your credit report from each agency

How do I get the report corrected? Each of the three credit agencies has its own method, clearly explained when you get your credit report from them.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
why would a late utility bill be on the report?
that does not seem right.

Any time someone is consistently late paying any bill, it goes in their credit report. That is just part of their credit history. One or two times being 30 days late isn't going to be reported to the credit agency, but a consistent record of not paying anything on time will be on the credit report.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I asked: If there is something that should have dropped off and it has not, could the person pulling the report use that information against me.
Your answer: If you ask for your own credit report, you can have any errors corrected, so this should never be a problem. If you don't take that step, any person looking at the report will use the information provided.
My response: none of us has asked someone to track our credit history, so if they (credit bureaus) choose to track credit and then share it with other (for a profit) then is should be their responsibility to make sure it is correct (because their errors could hurt us). Actually proof should fall on them. So if they share something that is incorrect and it negatively affects me then they should be responsible. The viewer will never forget even after the items are corrected.

Of course everyone has their own opinion. However, you asked how the credit bureau reports work and I've explained that. We don't make their rules for them. Credit bureaus were begun in the late 1800s as central places where the creditworthiness of any individual could be stored in a central place so a company didn't have to initiate an expensive investigation every time someone applied for credit. Each time someone uses credit, their repayment history is reported to the credit bureau. Banks, mortgage companies and anyone who loans money can check to see if the individual applying for credit has a history of fulfilling his obligations on time, or if he/she is consistently late or doesn't pay at all. A poor credit history will result in the lender refusing to lend money in the first place, or charging a higher rate of interest for the extra risk being taken on.

If you are concerned about something erroneous being on your credit report, it takes only a minute to ask for the report and read it. The credit bureau will readily remove anything that has been reported wrong to them. If you are looking for further recourse, you can consult an attorney.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does not just take a minute. It's not easy to get each one. It cost money to get the score. they are hard to understand. a lot of it has been wrong - including my name. they make you prove when they are wrong which takes research. I once hired an attorney to get some items corrected which cost a lot of money. so say it just takes a minute seems like a silly thing to say. could you tell me your background / qualifications to answer these questions?

I worked in retail for years, primarily with credit bureaus. I have also pulled my own credit report yearly to check for inaccurate information. It took just a minute. You can pull one report from each bureau for FREE every year. It doesn't cost a cent.

I am going to opt out, since I've already answered the question ("How do I pull a credit report?") and I have no wish to argue with you when I've already given you the answer.

Good luck with your credit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am hoping that a credit expert can give me more detailed answers to my questions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i really want to have a conversation with a credit expert
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i am going to pay for these answers - i should be talking to a credit expert.