Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

I have had a frozen turkey in the freezer more than a year.

Customer Question

I have had a frozen turkey in the freezer for not more than a year. No rips in the pkg. Is it still good to cook.
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a General specialist. I have done some research on this and have found out according to the USDA that a Turkey that is frozen can be kept for approximately nine months in a freezer set at or below 0°F and still be used for dinner. For safe thawing in the refrigerator, allow about one day for every four to five pounds of turkey to thaw in the refrigerator. The Turkey may also be thawed in cold water in its original airtight packaging or in a leak-proof bag. Submerge the bird or cut-up parts in cold water, changing the water every 30 minutes. Estimate minimum thawing time to be 30 minutes per pound for whole turkey.

If I have addressed your concerns, Please take a moment to Rate my service 5 stars.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Correction on the length of time the turkey will be good for cooking. It did not post correctly: it should read according to the USDA that a Turkey that is frozen can be kept for approximately nine months to twelve months in a freezer set at or below 0°F and still be used for dinner

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Wanted to check in and see how your turkey turned out? Please let me know if you used it.

Joan