Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287
Type Your Question Here...

From Fort, Arkansas! and I'm on the Committee City's

Customer Question

Hello from Fort Smith, Arkansas! My name is ***** ***** I'm on the Committee for our City's 200th Anniversary coming up on December 25th, 2017. As part of our Bicentennial Celebration, we would like to attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the most
people lip syncing to a song on video. Back in 2009 when Newsweek Magazine called Grand Rapids Michigan one of "the most dying cities in America" the city responded with this viral video that broke records and put Grand Rapids in the spotlight. The link to
the video is here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPjjZCO67WI) My question will require a bit of research, as I'm wanting to know: 1) How do we break the Guiness World Record ( I assume with 5,001 people?) 2) Does our video need to be one continuous shot,
or could we shoot the video in segments and still qualify to break the world record? I have found a few articles that may be helpful in answering these questions, and they are listed below. Thank you in advance for your help! - Brad References: http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/mass/largest_LipDub_video_The_Grand_Rapids_LipDub_sets_world_record_112299.html
http://michiganradio.org/post/lansing-based-group-seeks-overtake-grand-rapids-lip-syncing-world-record#stream/0 http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/
Category: General
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am looking into this for you now…..

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

1) How do we break the Guiness World Record ( I assume with 5,001 people?)

Yes, some of the relevant the guidelines are that all Guinness World Records record titles must fulfill key criteria including:

1. Measurable - Is it the fastest / longest / heaviest / most?
  2. Breakable - Can the record be broken or repeated by someone else? All our record titles must be open to being challenged.
  3. Standardizable - Can the record title be done universally? For example, it cannot be related to something restricted to a region.
  4. Verifiable - Can the claim be proven? For example, a claim such as ‘the man who never drank water’, can never be verified unless the man spent his whole life from birth under surveillance by a witness.

2) Does our video need to be one continuous shot, or could we shoot the video in segments and still qualify to break the world record?

It needs to be one continuous shot. The guidelines are as follows:

"Be sure to include it in full, in one continuous take (no cheating – we will catch you!), and get all of the action in the frame at all times, it must be clear what is going on. Setting your camera up on a tripod for records where you remain in place, or having a friend/family-member film you for records where you move around more, will help a lot here. For time-based records, include a visible stopwatch/countdown timer throughout the attempt."