Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

This is a question re Spanish. Why do we need the

Customer Question

This is a question re Spanish.
Why do we need the preposition "de" in sentences such as the following:
Estoy feliz de conocerte.
Estoy cansado de trabahar.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

Thanks very much for your question; my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to be of help.

It's always difficult to answer questions as to 'why' a certain grammatical pattern is used in different languages. In Spanish, in the sentences you have used as examples for your question, the answer is simply that the preposition 'de' must come before the infinitive of the verb, having a meaning of 'to' or 'of'/from', respectively.

"Estoy cansado de trabajar" means "I'm tired of working." or "I'm tired from working."

In the first sentence, "Estoy feliz de conocerte," 'de' must come between the adjective 'feliz' and the infinitive 'conocerte,' in order for the sentence to be grammatically correct.

English grammar is quite different than Spanish grammar and rules will vary. Please see the following webpage for a more in depth explanation of using 'de' in different circumstances: CLICK

I hope this helped!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going and to ask if you found my answer helpful. If you did, please be so kind as to rate my answer positively (3-5 Stars or any smiling face). Thanks very much!

if you need any clarification or additional information, please just click 'Reply to Expert' and I will be happy to continue. You can still ask follow-up questions on your original subject, at no additional charge, even after you rate!

Warmest wishes,

Cher