A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

GOLD EDGE IS TARNISHING ON MY ROSENTHAL DINNER PLATES. wHERE

Customer Question

GOLD EDGE IS TARNISHING ON MY ROSENTHAL DINNER PLATES.
wHERE CAN i GET THEM REPAIRED?
XXXXXXXXX
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

Generally restoration starts at about $100 per piece. Often it is far cheaper to replace an item than to repair it.

Tarnish can sometimes be removed at home using baking soda and hot water with a polishing cloth. Here are the steps to go through: http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-polish-gold-trim-on-china/

Once the tarnish is removed, it's best to hand wash the dishes in the mildest possible dishwashing liquid. Unless china is specifically marked "dishwasher-safe" it shouldn't be put in the dishwasher, since this causes tarnish.

If you determine that the gold need to be replaced, then you could speak with a china restoration and conservator in your area. You don't mention where you live, so I can't search for you. However, again, repairs usually cost more than a replacement.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,

Schuyler

~

If I have answered your question to your satisfaction, I would appreciate a positive rating. If I haven't, please let me know what else I can do to help you. Thanks :-)