A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

I am trying to identify this object. I t is about 12 inches

Customer Question

I am trying to identify this object. I t is about 12 inches tall. The shaft and base are steel. The rest is brass. The carrier piece has spring loaded arms with notched at the ends. My guess is something was suspended between arms. The carrier slides is raised by a pull chain. When the carrier gets to the top it can swivel 90 degrees either direction. The screws are machined made. I have 2 pictures I can post.
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Sorry you've been waiting for so long. Do you have a clearer picture that you can post. It's difficult to make out the object versus all the background.

Thanks so much!

Schuyler

~

Note that this is a request for more information, not an answer. Please don't try to rate it. Thanks :-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response. These are the only 2 pictures I currently have. I should be able to shoot some more this weekend. I will update again when I have more. In the mean time do you have any other questions?

Thanks. The problem is that I have to scroll all over the place to try to see the item. It would help to have a nice clear picture that includes nothing but the object. It may be difficult since it appears to be sited in a public place. I'll wait for more pictures.

All the best,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ms Schuyler. I was able to shoot some more pictures of the object. It is a little taller than I first thought. I can send individual pictures but I thought I'd try to put things into a collection and add a few comments to describe the object a little better. Please let me know what you think.

The photos are beautiful! When I looked at the original photos I was thinking antique wine equipment - corker or cork remover. However, after seeing these clear photos, I'm afraid I don't know what it is. I am going to opt out and let others take a look now that there are excellent pictures. You don't need to do anything. You will get another email when someone has an answer for you. In the meanwhile, no rating is required since you don't have an answer yet.

Good luck!

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ms Schuyler, thank you for taking a look. The pictures were shot at winery but the object came from an antique shop somewhere. No one at the antique shop knew what it was and no one at the winery knows. One of the popular guesses is a stand to hold an oil lamp on a night stand. I don't think that is the case because the arms and brass chain don't seem strong enough to hold that much weight. The carrier being able to pivot 180 degrees seems important but I don't see how that fits with a reading lamp. Anyway, thanks for trying to help.