Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

What is a suitable method and/or solvent to remove bubble

Customer Question

What is a suitable method and/or solvent to remove bubble gum from a polypropylene sock?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. What i usually do (and it work for a wide range of putty like materials also) is to freeze it and then scrape it off. The coldest you can get the better so a real dedicated freezer work better than a freezer within a refrigerator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
freezing is not going to work with a loose knit. I need a solvent, if there is one.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
The international chewing gun association (and many members like Wrigley) recommend to use citrus peel extract to disovlve it as a safe method. I assume it may be a slow process as citric acid is not very reactive (never tested it myself as i always win with ice cube and freezer).
http://www.gumassociation.org/index.cfm/facts-figures/frequently-asked-questions/how-can-i-best-get-gum-unstuck-if-it-ends-up-where-it-doesnt-belong1/