Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Safe door is open, cannot be closed because lock bolts are

Customer Question

safe door is open, cannot be closed because lock bolts are extended and will not retract
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What is the make and model number of your safe? Is it a Sentry?
Is your safe electronic or manual/dial?
Do you know your combination?
Does the safe use a key and also the combination, when you open it?
Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to read it over and then compose/send your detailed answer.
Best wishes,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a sentry, model no. DA3831 It is an electronic, I know the combination, there is no key.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.
I will be with you shortly, as I am helping another client at this time.
Your patience is greatly appreciated!
Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks so much for waiting.
The first thing I would recommend is to replace your batteries with new ones--alkaline only--and make sure there is no corrosion (rust/battery acid) in the battery holder. If you see any, clean it out with some rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip, then dry completely before reinserting new batteries. If you've never changed the batteries before, you can find instructions in the safe's manual; if you don't have your manual, here is a downloadable copy:
http://www.sentrysafe.com/pdfs/OwnersManuals/513022.pdf
Enter your combination and turn your handle down within 4 seconds; if it won't go down, turn it up--also, before entering your combination, make sure your handle is in the absolute horizontal position. If the bolts still won't retract, take a rubber mallet or a hammer with a thick towel wrapped around the head several times, and tap the ends of the bolts several times. You can also spray a little WD-40 lubricant at the base of the bolts where they come out of the safe door.
If this doesn't work, take the rubber mallet and hit the safe door above and below the combination keypad, all around the edges of the door and on the top.
You may have a defective solenoid (opening mechanism) that is stuck and preventing the bolts from retracting. In this case, you will need to contact Sentry Customer Care at the following number:(###) ###-####
Their hours are Mon. - Fri. 8AM to 6PM Eastern time.
I hope things go well with your safe!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher