A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

How can i find what the biblical reference is to the each

Customer Question

how can i find what the biblical reference is to the each Dali "biblia sacras" I own?
Category: General
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Greg.

Can you provide the specifics of what you are needing for this prompt as what you have provided above does not really show what is required. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be to find an expert who is best able to support your needs.

You can upload using a file sharing site such as mediafire.com or wikisend.com and then share the link here with us.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 dali lithograph from the "biblia sacra" edition. There were105 works in the edition, each representing something dealing with the bible.(ie: a reference to a passage or some event). I have volume 1.7 and IV.9. Is there any reference materal which would tell me what these lithographs (or any in the edition) were referencing in the bible?

After going through my resources, I do not have what is necessary to complete at this time.

I am opting out and opening up to the other professionals and messaging a couple who might be able to help.

Someone should be with you shortly.

Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure I will be able to help you but I'll try. There are five volumes of a complete Biblia Sacra. You evidently have two of the five. The 105 Dali lithographs were scattered throughout. There is a book telling all about the 105 illustrations that Dali did for the volumes. You can purchase it here: http://www.lockportstreetgallery.com/BibliaSacrabook.htm

You can't always pinpoint one particular book and verse of the Bible to match each illustration though. They were painted to be Dali's impressions of various themes in the Bible. For instance, the illustration titled Flagellation a la colonne refers to both Mark Chapter 18 and John Chapter 19. The final illustration (#105) can be pinpointed though. It refers to John 22.17. Many of he works draw strongly from his mysticism as well as his religious beliefs and aren't as easily assigned to a particular Biblical passage.

Since you own the valuable volumes, I would suggest you purchase the book as well. It is beautifully done.

All the best,

Schuyler

~