chester298
chester298,
69243481
Type Your Question Here...

My Janome Memory Craft 4900 jams as soon as I start sewing.

Customer Question

Hi, my Janome Memory Craft 4900 jams as soon as I start sewing. I have re - wound the bobbin and re - threaded the machine several times to no avail. Any suggestions?
Category: General
Expert:  chester298 replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to just answer.

Did you try to replace your needle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chester, yes I did. I was using a twin needle when the trouble started. I have since cleaned the bobbin area, changed to a single needle and re-threaded the bobbin and machine.

Expert:  chester298 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response Madam Penelope.

Next step is I want you to check your TIMING. Follow the steps below:

Remove the bobbin case and bobbin., turn the machine so you can see the needle as it enters
the area where you removed the bobbin case. (for clarity, this area is commonly called
the hook and race area) as you turn the handwheel, you will see a curved or semi-circular
piece turning towards the needle. This part, called the hook will have a point on it
which should pass behind the needle approx. 1.5 to 3.0 mm above the eye of the needle.
If this is not the case then either the needle-bar or the hook are out of timing.
This applies to all sewing machines of any make or model. This can be a simple repair
if the needle-bar is too high or too low, but more difficult if the hook is incorrectly timed.

If the needle bar is out of time you can fix it yourself otherwise, hook timing is definitely a high level repair that needs a professional approach.

For needle bar height, remove the cover (face plate) then you will see the needle bar. There is a screw there that need to loosen in able to adjust higher or lower the the needle bar height.

Please note: Mark the original position of needle bar. If still persist, you have to send your machine to repair shop or dealer for fix the hook timing.

Hope this information will be helpful.

IMPORTANT:
RATING IS REQUIRED!! If you are satisfied to my answer please don't forget to rate,,EXCELLENT OR GOOD rating and BONUS are greatly appreciated...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chester,

The point passes the needle about 3mm above the eye but it might be slightly more. Very difficult to judge though. I am not quite sure what you mean by the needle bar. I have already removed the metal plate to see the alignment of the needle and hook. Is the screw you are talking about the one behind where you screw in the needle? Incidentally the automatic needle threader works ok. When I looked at the needle and hook, the needle did seem to be very close to the semi circular plate on the metal cylinder which has the hooked part on it. I hope that makes sense.

Expert:  chester298 replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am talking to face plate not a needle plate or what you call metal plate. Face plate is plastic part of machine (head) that cover the needle bar mechanism.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This plastic part has the handle attached to it and I can only see one screw underneath where the handle lifts up. This all seems very complicated and I cannot see how this needle bar could suddenly drop. The machine was working OK and then just started jamming up. Yesterday I was doing ordinary sewing and twin needle sewing OK. Is there no other answer?

Expert:  chester298 replied 1 year ago.
Face plate or face cover of your machine model is very easy to remove.

Look at the image below.
graphic

Look at the needle bar, the metal bar that holds your needle. Then refer to my above answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is not clear which screw to turn, It would seem to be one behind a black plastic part which makes it difficult to get a screwdriver in. I don't think we can do this.

Expert:  chester298 replied 1 year ago.

That is easy, use sharp or pointed metal to snap off the black plastic cover then remove the screw.

Others things you need to try before considering timing issue. Try to insert your needle with a little bit down low (do not insert all the way up) just give little allowance going down.

Also try to adjust your tension and see if there is any improvement.

If you are not comfortable doing technical job I would suggest you to send your machine to repair shop to re-timing your machine.

Hope this information will be helpful.

IMPORTANT: RATING IS REQUIRED!! If you are satisfied to my answer please don't forget to rate,,EXCELLENT OR GOOD rating and BONUS are greatly appreciated...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The part I referred to is black metal not plastic (sorry I was wrong) and is a shaped piece in front of the screw not covering the screw. If I lower the needle the distance to the hook will be greater than 3mm not less.

Expert:  chester298 replied 1 year ago.
To remove: Please refer to the image I sent above.

Remove the cap q

Remove the setscrew w

Remove the face cover e

That is easy I don't know why you taking hard time to remove the face cover.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have removed the cover! You do not understand, it is the needle bar adjustment screw that is difficult to get to or even to know which it is.

Expert:  chester298 replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your clarification. Look at the needle and needle clamp. There is a metal bar that connects on those 2 (needle clamp and needle) Just trace it and you will find the needle bar. Trace it upward and you will see screws that you need to adjust. Please mark your original position.

If still, can't find it just send me photo. Click paper clip icon at the top of your typing box, click browse,browse, OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You still don't understand, I can see the bar but it is not possible to get at the screws because of a black curved metal piece in front.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This matter is still unresolved. I wish to cancel the dialogue and re-claim my deposit. How do I do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wrote to you on Friday and again on Saturday but I have heard nothing back. My money has been taken from the bank but my problem is not resolved. I cannot access the screw you mentioned and even if I could we do not know yet if it will resolve the problem. Your comment about lowering the needle was ridiculous because that would, if anything, make the problem worse. I can find nowhere on the website to cancel this dialogue and recoup my money.