Jon
Jon, Consultant
Experience:  Professional Gunsmith, Certified Police Firearms Instructor, Concealed Carry Instructor, Journeyman Machinist and Firearms Enthusiast.
66248244
Type Your Question Here...

I have a small sentry fire safe that I keep my important

Customer Question

I have a small sentry fire safe that I keep my important papers in. I recently put a paper in it and closed it. The key will not open it again. There appears to be a small gold piece blocking the key hole and the key will not go into the hole. How can this problem be solved ? I need to get my papers out ! Bea
Category: General
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is Jon. I will do my best to help. It sounds like one of the pins has dropped out of it's cylinder. See if you can use a small pic or straightened paperclip to push the pin (Gold Piece) back up into it's cylinder. While holding your pin in place with the pic, see if you can get the key to insert into the lock and remove your pic. If you can get the key into the lock, do not remove the key or he pin will drop back down into the same position. Let me know how this works.

Jon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a tiny screw driver that I tried using as you suggested I cannot get the gold pin to move at all. I tried moving it ..up..correct ? It will not move. Any other ideas ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By holding the safe on my lap with the lock facing me and Sentry Safe written below the lock...I can push DOWN on the little gold pin and make it disappear...but then I cannot get the key in the lock while holding the pin down..there is not enough room for both the key and the tool.. ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This did not solve my problem...I still cannot get the box open..Any other ideas ? I feel this has been a total waste of my $40.00 !
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

If you can gold pin to disappear, see if you can insert a small piece of wax to hold the pin up while you remove the tool. this should leave you enough room to insert the key. The wax will just push out of the way when the key is inserted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally got the key in with your suggestion..but it turned so hard that I broke the key off. I got the broken piece out but cannot find the other key that I had..I guess the next step is taking it to a locksmith to have the lock changed.. Just an FYI..I am a 75 year old great grandmother...Thank you for your suggestions....Can Sentry supply me with another key or should I just pay a locksmith to replace or at least remove the lock to enable me to get my papers out.?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Sentry may be able to send you another key. However, at this point, I would just have a locksmith replace the cylinder of the lock. When he does this,he will give you new keys for your safe. I am sorry I could not be more help. It is always a challenge a challenge to visualize exactly what a customer has going on with an item and to tell them how to fix it over the internet. Do you need any help finding a locksmith in your area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked up a local locksmith on the internet..It seems to be the cylinder that is the problem. I think the whole lock needs to be replaced. Thank you for your help anyway..
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

No problem.​. If I can help in any way, please let me know.