Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
61840635
Type Your Question Here...

I have an unstretched painted canvas with a razor-sharp

Customer Question

Hello. I have an unstretched painted canvas with a razor-sharp slit in it. Could I still use this process to repair it?
Category: General
Expert:  Patience replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thanks for using justanswer.com. I know it's distressing to damage a painting, but you should be able to make a pretty good repair. Here's how: First, cover your work area to protect both the art and the work surface, and then cut out a patch from a piece of canvas about one inch larger than the tear. Next, apply a thin layer of white craft glue to one side of the patch. (By the way, gesso will work as well as glue in this situation.). Try to keep glue from leaking through to the front while smoothing the patch evenly over the tear. Once you've positioned the patch in place on the back, check the positioning of the repair on the front of the canvas before the glue has a chance to dry. Make sure that the edges of the cut are properly lined up and that there are no loose threads. If there's a problem with hanging threads, you can truck them in with tweezers, a toothpick, or another small tool. You could place a book or other weight over the patch while it dries to keep the canvas flat. After the glue dries, snip off any threads that still remain. If you need to do a little more to hide the tear after the glue has dried try adding extra color or texturing to the painting. Hopefully, this DIY repair should work out for you. However, please keep in mind that if your canvas is very valuable, it should probably be sent to an expert for repair. Please rate my response so that I can get credited for it. After that, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask further questions at no extra charge. Best of good fortune to you, Patience P.
Expert:  Patience replied 1 year ago.
Hello- I am available for further consultation. Please let me know if you need any additional suggestions.