Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
61840635
Type Your Question Here...

I am sewing leather with an industrial sewing machine. How

Customer Question

I am sewing leather with an industrial sewing machine. How can I tie off the string ends so they never come undone? It is heavy duty string. Perhaps a special knot or some kind of glue? Please let me know what is the standard for securing the ends of string
when working with leather.
Category: General
Expert:  Patience replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thanks for your question. Securing the thread ends is an easy process. Just make sure that you leave several inches of thread on both sides to have enough length to work with while making the knot. Generally, a square knot is used. A dab of adhesive can be added to the knot to increase the durability as well. Good easy-to-follow instructions for tying a square knot can be found at http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-tie-a-square-knot/ To stack the square knot to make it even more sturdy, you can tie one or more extra half knots against it. Then snip off any extra thread left hanging. As for adhesives, you can use any kind that works for setting fabrics. These can be found at any local or online beading or craft store. You can even check at the drugstore. In addition, some leatherworkers swear by Super Glue for this purpose as well. I hope this response helps you with creating something beautiful and long-lasting.. Please go ahead and rate this response so I can be credited for it. Then, if you have any further questions, I will be happy to assist you at no extra charge. Regards, ***** *****