PATRICIA
PATRICIA, Internet Researcher
Experience:  FUTURE DAYCARE OWNER, Gift of Discernment, ASSOCIATES DEGREE IN ARTS IN BUSINESS
18263522
Type Your Question Here...

Looking breakdown of the number of troops/cavalry/guns

Customer Question

Looking for a breakdown of the number of troops/cavalry/guns to each division in both the french and Prussian armies during the Franco Prussian War.
Category: General
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Greg.

I think this site gives a relatively good breakdown of strength. I will continue some additional searching but full breakdowns may be tough to come by as compared to seeking info about a more recent conflict.

http://francoprussianwar.com/armies.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg!

Yes I had come upon this site before, it lists the total strength which could be useful but at the division level it would be great to get some more detail.

I was curious about that. Is there a way possibly estimate what the average strength of a french or german division was in 1870-71?

In Lieu of number which I didn't think would be exact, (should have been more specific in question,) it would be equivalent if there was a resource that described the performance of each division. Perhaps if an atlas or something like it exists for the conflict, I know it's somewhat obscure.

Not sure if you would agree, but at least with the german army it stayed in tact organizationally throughout WW1, where in which there are more recent records. I do not know if the French army was still the Army Of The Rhine, but there may be records slightly before or after 1870-71 that may be close enough for what i need.

A record of casualties suffered by each corps (better yet division) I could come of with an idea of how each divison performed. any more information along those lines I could really use, thank you!

Great points.

Let me do some research this morning and get back with you on what I can futher track down on the specifics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey! Hows it going so far?

Having a tough time tracking down.
Going to continue looking but will also open up in case others might have these figures more handy.
Will reply back if able to find needed info on this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no worries, I understand this is a difficult topic, let me know if i can be of any more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Anyone have any luck with this? In Lieu of exact numbers, the number of troops in a typical division or brigade would be helpful.

Expert:  PATRICIA replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I have found the following information: 60,000 troops1400 guns at the start. 100,000 shellsmore information listed below, along with the website previously found. www.firstworldwar.com/battles/verdun.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I appreciate the effort but this seems to be from 1916, The battle of verdun which was midway through the war. In addition, while the German/Prussian armies remained similar in structure, it appears that the French "Army Of The Rhine" Present in the franco prussian war, was completely dismantled by WW1.

Possibly curious as to if any french speakers would mind tackling this. I have a feeling the information I need is somewhere in a french document somewhere.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
more people the better