Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

My crepe myrtle (dwarf pokemoke, I believe) is FULL of white

Customer Question

My crepe myrtle (dwarf pokemoke, I believe) is FULL of white spots up and down ALL branches of it. The leaves look healthy, the plant is growing nicely, NO flowering at all. I just notice the white specs today; they are covering all the inside branches. What do I do?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi. You most likely have scale insect infestation. They drink the sap of the plant and reduce it's available energy by doing so. They can also increase the risk of bacteria entering the tree.
The earlier you scrape them of the better it is. If you want to use an insecticide, use one specifically for scale because they have a waxy coating that can protect them of most chemical. In the fall, you can use a dormant oil in hope to kill as much eggs that way.
If you don'T want chemical, you can always try to bring some of those bird with food or shelter:
http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/IND43743271/PDF