Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Hi and thanks. I have a question about writing.. I will definetly tip you for depth.
I wont bore you with my backround. Ihave my text books and my own ways of of how to "game set match" (complete) a novel. but i would like your advice on a clear strategy of steps to complete a novel. I know you will say some people plan and some dont. i have heard that before. but what are the steps from idea to completion, also including where publication fits in

Hello, I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know, otherwise, no need to reply. Thank you for your patience.

Hi again, Dimitri and thanks for requesting me to answer your question.

I was not online at the time you posted, so I thank you for your patience.

Please allow me a while to get this answer to you after researching some materials.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok sounds good but i am also hoping for you opinion as someone who was an author.. pls and thanks

Hi again, Dimitri.

I think these instructions on how to complete your novel will help you move along:

You can also order a free e-book with this one!

The ideas here are great, (I've used them myself) and also include information about publishing and self-publishing (click the link on self-publishing):

I know that typically, literary agents and/or publishers ask for either the first three chapters or three chapters from the middle of the book, to get an idea of what your story is about, how well you've written it and if it is worth them pursuing it, so honing your first few chapters to get them to be the 'hook' that interests the publisher (and the readers) is a good idea.

Don't let the many ideas swimming around in your head deter you. Consider each one, throw out the ones that you know won't work for your purpose, and pursue those that you feel will yield the best result and fully convey what you want to say. If you can't think of anything at the time, leave it for a while to clear your head and then go back to it. Jot down ideas that may come to you during the day, wherever you are and then see if they will apply to your writing when you get home and try different scenarios to complete your book.

Editing, re-editing, proofreading, etc. is very important, as you may catch something that didn't draw your attention before. This might also want to make you change the order of chapters or add additional story details.

I hope this helped!

Best regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So you say they want a few chapters and not a proposal?

Hi again, Dimitri and thanks for your reply.

Proposals are used more often for academic writing, like textbooks, and other non-fiction works.

Here is more information about proposals:

Submitting a few chapters is usually done for novels of fiction, like yours.

I hope this helped! If so, please take a moment to provide a positive rating so I may be credited for my work and expertise. Thank you! Laughing

Best regards,

Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist