Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Hello,I have a French safe with a five key lock that we are

I have a French safe with a five key lock that we are trying to find someone to open. The safe is from 1850 to 1880. Do you have any referrals for this business? Cigars forthcoming if you like CAO.

Hello, John and welcome back to JustAnswer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

It would be helpful to know the manufacturer of the safe and in that way, you might be able to track down the keys, although due to the antiquity of it, that would be a long-shot. However, I would suggest not only looking for the services of a locksmith, but a locksmith/safe technician. This company has branches nationwide, but I don't know your location, so if you find one of their branches not too far from you, give them a call, explain what you have and ask if they might be able to open it; if they can't, they might have a recommendation to another company for you:

I would also recommend finding antiques shops in your area and asking if they have any French antique safes in stock with keys--you might get lucky. If the safe is portable, bring it into the antiques stores and get their opinion. They might know a technician who can open it.

I'm assuming your ultimate goal is to open the safe without having to drill and render it unusable. If you are willing to drill the safe, you shouldn't have a problem finding a local safe technician to do this.

If you know the name of the manufacturer, I would be glad to research this further for you.

I hope this helped and I wish you much good luck with your safe!

Best regards,