Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

If a fully cooked and smoked ham was frozen and then thawed

If a fully cooked and smoked ham was frozen and then thawed outside of the refrigerator how long can it be kept in the refrigerator and safely eaten? If it is still cool, can it be refrozen?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a General specialist. According to the Foodsafety.gov a fully cooked smoked ham can be kept in the Refrigerator for 3-5 days or if frozen it can be kept 1-2 months. The fact the Ham was smoked and fully cooked helps extend the time that it can be stored in the refrigerator and the freezer. I do suggest to slice the ham before freezing to help save the taste and texture of the ham. Please let me know If you have further questions. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do they say about a ham that was frozen and thawed, can it be refrozen? It is fully thawed outside the refrigerator. Still OK?

The information is the same for a frozen ham. The curing and smoking are preservatives which extend the ability to keep the ham longer. I usually will buy my smoked hams for the hoilidays freeze and defrost then, warm them and serve. When done I will refigerate some slices like Ham steaks and freeze the rest and never have a problem. I do not like if frozen whole, I like to cut the ham being frozen into Hamsteak slices before freezing. Joan