Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 years practicing attorney, Realtor, 24+ years landlord
19958803
Type Your Question Here...

I recently bought a new front door. With in a month, the out

I recently bought a new front door. With in a month, the out side started to fade from the sun and rain. I believe it is an oak door. They said they are going to refinish the door and will make sure it will last. I want to follow up with the person that is refinishing the door. What should he be doing so the door will last?
Category: General
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Is the door exposed to the weather without a storm door of any kind?
.
Was the finish that was on the door factory applied?
.
Who is it that you spoke with? A manufacturer rep?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Is the door exposed to the weather without a storm door of any kind? Yes, there is no storm door.

.

Was the finish that was on the door factory applied?No. He applied it when he received the door.

.

Who is it that you spoke with? A manufacturer rep? The guy has a shop and does the work himself.

He said he is sanding the door and putting a finish on it that will last. The door looked great the first time, but quickly faded. I just do not want it to fade quickly again.
Ok, the sun and weather cause finishes to quickly oxidize and wear dur to the sun's damaging UV rays if a door isn't properly protected from the elements.
.
With that said, if the first finish failed, it is likely that it was either a cheap finish or multiple coats weren't applied. When you are refinishing an indoor door, you can get away with only one coat of varnish or polyurethane because it is not exposed to the elements. But when you have a front door that is being exposed daily to UV, heat, cold and rain, you need to have at least 2 if not 3 coats of sealer on it to ensure that the protective barrier is thick enough to withstand the weather.
.
I would recommend an oil based sealer as their lifespan will be about 3-4 times longer than water based. They are a little messier for clean up, but their durability is unsurpassed. He should put at least 2 coats on, with a light sanding in between after letting the first coat dry for 24 hours.
.
One other thing, make sure he sands and refinishes the sides of the door and top and bottom. If they aren't sanded and sealed, water can absorb and it will cause the door to swell and stick and prematurely deteriorate. The best topcoat would be an exterior spar varnish that is made for boats. Spar varnish contains ingredients that block UV rays and is more flexible than regular poly. It also adheres better without cracking or peeling.
.
As an aside, I have been reclaiming furniture and restoring old houses for 20+ years in my spare time...
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 years practicing attorney, Realtor, 24+ years landlord