Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

I have an item that I am not sure exactly what it is. It is

I have an item that I am not sure exactly what it is. It is cast iron 3 inches in diameter (cup) 3 inches in height it has a mark on the bottom that looks like a cricket (there is also some other writing but I cannot read it, it also has a number 5-43. I thought it might be a match holder, or someone told me it may be something used to melt for bullets. Any suggestions would be grateful.
Category: General
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 8 months ago.

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No I haven't received any answers as of yet. Still waiting to see if someone may know what this is.

Hello

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator
Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.
Hello. While the table is in perfect focus, the surface of the object itself is not. Do you have a clearer picture and perhaps also one with the back of the item (to see how the wire is connected to it)?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes, is this any better?

Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.
Definitively better but i would still like to see the detail of the under side better. As this may be a very general purpose utilitarian item, only the detail on the bottom will probably give me a clue.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It's not very clear on the bottom, every picture I take is basically what it looks like. From what I can see, there is a stamp of a cricket/grasshopper with the letter OSV or O5V under the cricket. This is the best picture I can get of the bottom.

Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.
It really is hard to tell. The "cricket" look like the blacksmith crest/seal and the number the production run. I can't find anything on the origin that said. From the finish it look to be very man made and probably with low production run.

I don't think it was to melt bullet or make tea because it does not have a beak. It look to be something to hook over a fire, but not a candle mold or anything that need to take a form because it would not un-pot easily .

Because it is very small, it could be a transfer container for balsam fir gum, but i am really guessing here. If could help if you knew the last 3-4 generation trade of those in your father side family, this is likely a tool they used.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

My great grandfather was a Native American Ojibway Tribe, could it possibly have come from that? So it is not an antique of any value? Not that I'm interested in selling, it has too much sentimental value. Any idea how old it is?

Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.
Native American tribe did not perform metallurgical operation. He may have bought it for cooking or medicine purpose. The value is probably low because the finish is crude and because it is a common container without much feature. The material itself is of low grade.

It does not look older than the 1800 from the look of the number punched into it , but if hand made it could be lot newer. Perhaps it was part of a military camp kit in the civil war.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you, for the information you have provided, that helps quite a bit. Wish I knew exactly what it is. But your information that you provided helped me. Thank you.

Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.
My pleasure.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Have a wonderful holiday season. Again I thank you for helping me.