Nora
Nora, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Internet researcher
Type Your Question Here...

I have a ceramic statue of ballet dancers, a man in harlequin

I have a ceramic statue of ballet dancers, a man in harlequin tights and a lady in a more traditional long and full ballet skirt.
There is a mark on the bottom, a large X with two small xs at the foot of each leg of the large X
Category: General
Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.
Hi There~

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help with your question.

I would be happy to help you with your ballet dancing figural pair.

How tall are they?

Would it be possible for you to send me photos? A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.

When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.

You can email your images toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

When you send your photos to that email address, please write “For Nora/Antiques” in the re: line and request that email be forwarded to me.

Please note, photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

-OR-

A super easy method, which is free and no sign-in required is to go to:

http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page. The address I need will look like this example: http://imgur.com/mA2ju

I look forward to seeing the images.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi Nora - Thank you for responding so quickly! Here are some photos...

Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.
Hi Barbara,

Thank you for the images.

Would you have one of the faces?

Also, what is the approximate height of figural pair.

Cheers,
Nora
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

They are 12 " tall

Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.
Excellent Barbara, thank you for the close-up.

Please allow me some time here to conduct the proper research and write your assessment.

I will post your answer here when complete.

Should be within the hour.

Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Great -Thank you Nora!

Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.
You are welcome!

Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.
Hi Barbara~

Thanks for your patience.

This is a figural of Harlequin and Columbine. The two portrayed here are based on the bawdy Italian theater troupe of the Commedia Dell’Arte from the 18th century.

The crossed swords with cross slash marks are for the esteemed porcelain maker Meissen in Germany.

Yours is their Russian Ballet series - this being 'Karneval' and dates to circa 1914.

The artist who modeled the figure group was Paul Scheurich.

The portrayal is rather risqué and erotic.

On today’s market, this figural pair sells at online auction for $2000 - $2700.

One recently sold at Christie’s in April '13 for $8125 against an estimate of $4000 - $6000.

Yours has some surface condition issues that appear as tobacco staining, which should be addressed if you plan to sell.

Feel free if you have further questions about your item.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Sincerely,
Nora
Nora, Internet Researcher
Experience: Internet researcher
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Nora,

I thank you for your prompt response and thorough information. Very helpful! I do have other much more traditional ceramic pieces and china that I would like to have appraised sometime this week and/or next week. Should I ask for you specifically or just post my questions generally?

Best regards,

Barbara

Expert:  Nora replied 8 months ago.
Hi Barbara~

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

Yes, of course, I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

You can request me personally - when you post a new question, use the specific ask for expert function and please add "For Nora" or "Hi Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

If I do not respond immediately, it is because I am not at my computer. Please rest assured that I will attend to your postings as soon as I am signed back in again.

The only items I do not assess for value are clocks, coins, watches, sewing machines, swords and firearms.

Sincerely,
Nora