Steve
Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Sub vet, motorcycle enthusiast, Harley mechanic, father of 4 beautiful girls, educated in electronics and nuclear technology.
11090168
Type Your Question Here...

I am trying to cut steel with a acetylene torch. I dont have

I am trying to cut steel with a acetylene torch. I don't have much experience. Am able to set the flame, regulators all that. After I heat the steel to cherry red and apply the o2 the torch pops and blows out???I am cutting from 1/4" to 1" steel. Wrong tip ?????
you need to start cutting from the edge. that will eliminate the pop and flying slag.

if you need to cut from the middle and can't use the edge......try to burn it all the way through before applying the O2. that will give you an edge in the middle to work from.

let me know if you need more help.
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

helped a little, not blowing out but I turned up the gas. It appears the flame is not hot enough. The metal does not get orange very fast or consistent. When it get hot I hit the O's and it just dies. I did find a small leak in the O2 line near the cylinder. Could it also be the wrong tip, I think it is a 2, several #'s the a -2 ? I was able to cut some 3/8" but on 1/2 " it's a no go.

a #2 tip is suitable for cutting up to about 1" thick steel.
here is a chart that may help with the regulator settings:

the problem is, the cut is suppose to start from an edge, not in the middle of the material. the pop and flame out may not be from anything you are doing wrong except where you are trying to start the cut. there must be an edge.

try drilling a hole to form an edge in an area other than the edge.

let me know if you need more help.
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am starting from an edge

are your regulator settings consistent with the table above?

tell me everything you can.
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. I started at 35/10, went to 40/12. I don't know if it's a problem but I am outdoors and there is a breeze. I borrowed this torch so I don't even know when the head was last cleaned. O2 hose is repaired. Don't know what else to tell you. I am cutting apart an old CAT 955 for scrap. There will need to be cuts of steel or cast up to 1 1/2 " possibly. I was able to cut some tubular pieces with little difficulty. Watched several youtube vids and it just appears the metal is not getting hot enough. Last I did this was 45 years ago in high school.

if the material is cherry red, it should burn when you pull the O2 handle.
ensure the tip is perpendicular to the material....not at an angle.
cut straight down.

use the guide to select the correct tip and regulator settings.

if the material is not getting cherry red and burning with O2, as expected, the wind may be too strong.
if the wind is too strong, it will cool the material and prevent it from getting to ignition temperature.

you might consider erecting a wind break.

let me know if you need more help.
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks much.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a positive rating.
thanks,
Steve