Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
Type Your Question Here...

I just discovered this topic.I wonder about learning German

I just discovered this topic.
I wonder about learning German better.
I'm kind of a beginner/intermediate speaker, with a "big" syntax problem since I'm a native English speaker.
Hello, thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am Michael, a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

There are many ways to learn and retain speaking any language. Being a librarian, I would recommend checking with your local library branch and see what they may have in their collection in terms of language videos and/or tapes. While expensive, some libraries have copies of Rosetta Stone which is the top in terms of language teaching but there are other audio selections that are quite good.

As for visual ideas to retain German:

1. Reading newspapers in the native language gives you a different point of view on a story and will help in picking up some interesting vocabulary. Opinion pieces in the paper will help in seeing words used by the population. The largest paper in Germany is Die Ziet

2. Reading books in the native language will help as finding yourself focusing more on the language and words than the story.

3. Listening to music and watching movies is a great visual way to keep current with the language.