Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, Realtor, 26 years landlord
19958803
Type Your Question Here...

if a property is foreclosed and goes to auction is the only

if a property is foreclosed and goes to auction is the only way to purchase with cash?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.

.
Not necessarily. Typically when a foreclosure sale is held, the terms are that the buyer either has to pay that day or can put down a nonrefundable deposit of 10% of the purchase price with the sheriff or agency conducting the sale with the balance due in 30 days. As a condition of allowing the deposit the buyer usually has to provide an unconditional commitment letter from a lender guaranteeing to make a loan to the buyer for up to a certain amount. Then if the loan doesn't close within 30 days, the buyer loses their deposit and the property is then resold.
.
But to know for sure if this holds consistent with any particular sale, the potential buyer would have to confirm the sale terms with the agency conducting the sale.
.
As an aside, I have purchased probably a dozen foreclosures and these were always the stated terms of the sale.
.
.
Thanks
.