Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

Looking into purchasing a coat from a website thats based

Looking into purchasing a coat from a website that's based in Asia. Their sizes are a little off, so I was wondering: Would it make sense to get something that fits me in the sleeves but would naturally be bigger in the chest and then have it taken in?
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am Michael, a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Purchasing a coat online can offer a great value but having it fit is another matter. Knowing what a tailor can and cannot accomplish with having your coat fit you right is important.

As for the sleeves, having the proper fit would be a good idea as a tailor can extend the length but only by the amount of fabric that is available on the underside of the sleeve and up to the beginning of the sleeve in general. A tailor can also add a button or two if necessary.

Since there should be more material in the chest area,I would believe a tailor can take in this area as well as the sides of the coat which can make a significant improvement in the fit.