Miranda
Miranda, Editor/Writer/College English Professor
Experience:  B.A., A.S., English professor (2+ years) and freelance editor (10+ years)
75554464
Type Your Question Here...

I am going to school to be a counselor. My state has an intern

I am going to school to be a counselor. My state has an intern program that I have to be in a doctoral program. How do I work (interns make 13.50/hour) and write my doctorate?
Category: General
Expert:  Miranda replied 11 months ago.

I'm Miranda, and I'll be happy to help you with your question.

I understand how difficult it can be to work and go to college, while writing important papers at the same time. (One quarter when I was in college, I took a total of 25 credit hours spread out over three different college campuses, worked three jobs, and was newly married at the same time.) Here are some tips I used when I was in school that will hopefully help you find time to write your doctorate while working.

Try to combine your intern/work schedule into as few days as possible. If you can combine your work schedule into three days, even if you have to work 12-hour days, that will leave you some free days to work on your doctorate. Talk to your boss and tell him that you are currently writing your doctorate. Many bosses are willing to work with people in college and will try to accommodate crazy schedules.

Also, see if your boss is all right with you working on your doctorate while you aren't busy at work (I used to do that all the time.). If not, you can still grab some valuable writing time during breaks/lunch.

Bring your doctorate, research materials, etc., everywhere you go. You never know when you might find a few spare moments to write/research (waiting on a bus, waiting for your food at a restaurant, etc.).

On the days you don't have to work, talk with your family and make sure they know how important it is for you to have time to write your doctorate. See if they will help with household responsibilities, etc. Try to set aside a certain amount of time every day to work on your doctorate, even if it's after everyone else goes to bed.

It will be difficult, and you will probably feel like you're going crazy at times, but in the end it will be worth it.

I hope that answered your question. If you have further questions, please ask. If this information isn't helpful to you, please let me know, and I will "OPT OUT" so another expert can try to help. It's been my pleasure helping you. Please remember to rate my answer positively, as rating me is the only way I receive payment/credit for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i just read that I might have to teach under grad. I am doing this all online and have to move for my internship. Do you know if I will have to teach online?

Expert:  Miranda replied 11 months ago.

It's possible that you could end up having to teach online. A lot of colleges are having more online classes these days, so the need for online teachers is definitely increasing. In my opinion, it's easier to teach online than in person (I have done both). There is less work involved, and the students aren't as "directly" making you want to tear your hair out. :)

If you do have to teach college, tell whoever is in charge whether you would prefer to teach online or in person. They will probably be willing to work with your schedule.

Experience: B.A., A.S., English professor (2+ years) and freelance editor (10+ years)
Expert:  Miranda replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the excellent rating and bonus. I really appreciate it. Good luck with everything!