matt50025002, M.B.A.
Experience:  Through my many years of life and learning, I have become wise beyond my years.
Type Your Question Here...

Do foreign tax (or additional taxes due) just reduce

Do foreign tax refunds (or additional taxes due) just reduce or increase the amount of foreign income taxes you have to apportion between Form 1116's Part II or do they have to be declared elsewhere on the form 1040 too? This is for a US citizen living overseas full tax years, not filing form 2555, just form 1116.

matt50025002 :

After reviewing the your question, I came to this conclusion. You do not have to declare foreign tax refunds on your 1040. You have to increase the amount of foreign income taxes on the form 1116 part 2. Thanks

thanks Matt, that's what I was thinking (all the income for the refund is already in 1040 wages etc), so this just affects the amount of foreign tax credit I have... thanks for confirming...